Thursday, May 9, 2013

Greens from Zone 1



I love green smoothies.  My recipe changes constantly, based on what I find in the freezer and what's abundant in the garden.  My smoothies are hardly the traditional barebones mix of 2/3 vegetables and 1/3 fruit.  I start with a base of frozen fruit - a combination of any of the following:  strawberries, blueberries, banana, pineapple and mango.  In goes either yogurt (a high-protein Greek variety is best) or coconut milk.  Then out to my Zone 1 garden to pick greens for the smoothie.  This week, I've picked beautifully healthy baby mustards, arugula and kale.  No huge yields in this chilly New England spring, but the greens are lovely and undoubtedly packed with calcium and other nutrients.  It's a nice way to start the day.  Here is a link to a green smoothie recipe.

The concept of Planting Zones a permaculture principal which I find so useful.  Zone 1 is the area of the garden which has the easiest access, both for harvesting and for care.   Basically, the idea is that when you are planning your garden, put those plants which you will want to access most frequently closest to your home,  Zone 0.  My Zone 1 is a bunch of containers in a deck off my living room.   I can step out in my slippers and pajamas and quickly snip some vibrant leaves. In seconds they are being whirled up in my blender.  Can't get any fresher than that!

Would I make green smoothies as often if the greens grew in Zone 2 or more?  Probably not.  If I had to walk a few blocks to the community garden, or even just down a flight of stairs to the front yard, harvesting just wouldn't be as simple. 

From Temperate Climate Permaculture: "Bill Mollison once said that if you need some fresh herbs for your morning omelette, and if you go to collect them from your Zone 1 garden and your slippers get wet from the dew, then they were placed too far from the home." Permaculture is fascinating.  Read more about it.

 This week I harvested a scant 8 ounces.  That means 96 pounds to go.   I remember that growth does not happen linearly, but at its own rate, sometimes exponentially, and sometimes not at all.  I was so excited to find beautiful locally grown heirloom tomatoes in a Jamaica Plain block sale, and did some planting before the heavy rains today.  Red Zebras, Paul Robeson, Tommy Toe and more, planted along with the Yukon Golds, and onion sets.  Yes - I think I will get to 100 pounds by the end of the season.  With patience.



No comments:

Post a Comment